Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Discovering Tobasco

March 4, 1519
I conjured a way to cover my failure of finding riches on the island of Cozumel, and it was by sailing up the River Tabasco. We landed on a beach a few days ago, met the natives who inhabited this area. We call them Tabascans, I have tried communicating with these people, but I have had no luck so far. They seem to have no understanding of Spanish and some have seemed a bit angry after my reading of the royal proclamation taking official possession of the land for the Spanish Crown. Hopefully this will please Velázquez and the Spanish Crown, since Spain is at constant war with the other European countries. They fight over these new lands, for they believe that they need to take as much as possible from other countries for free and sell them to the other countries. This will ultimately win Spain what I call “points”, and whichever country holds more lands in the new land will have more “points”. This new gain of land will please the Spanish Crown, and I shall be greatly rewarded for it. Soon, we may also engage in battle with the Tabascans, and control the land that they have power over. O yes, this will cover my earlier failure well enough for me to still obtain a tremendous amount of wealth and power.

No comments: