Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Return to Tlaxcala



June 30, 1520
Today is a very sad day for the conquest of the Aztec Empire. After we seemingly captured Tenochtitlan, or at least we thought, the Aztec citizens have banded together to drive us out. The Aztecs have become fiercer and fiercer in their attacks against us, and without Montezuma in their way, the are hungry and ready to kill us. I left Tenochtitlan to strengthen my grip hold on Mexico, and left Pedro Alvarado, one of my loyal soldiers in charge. However, the Aztecs seemed to have united under Panfilo Navarez, one of my soldiers back in the days of Cuba. Navarez was sent by Diego Velaquez in an attempt to yet again stop me, but this time it seems to be working. When I got back, I quickly ambushed his camp on May 29 and within a few hours my army and I conquered Navarez and all of his men. I was pleased at this, but less pleased when I found out about how Tenochtitlan was. Alvarado was not ready at all for the job and during the time I was gone, he lost on hold on Tenochtitlan and the Aztecs re-conquered it. The Aztecs ambushed Pedro and burned the Spanish Palace. I then ordered Montezuma to demand calm to the city, but the disorderly Aztecs threw a rock at his head, and now Montezuma is injured and infected, and his caretakers are unwilling to tend to him. In vain. I tried to conquer a bridge to lead us to Tenochtitla, but the Aztec forces were there to defend their frontload. We are now in short supply. These battles have taken quite a toll on our soldiers. We will march back to Tlaxcala, and strengthen up our troops. I will not rest until Tenochtitlan is in Spanish hands.

No comments: