Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Fall of the Aztecs


August 31, 1521
It has finally happened! I with the help of my troops have finally conquered all of the Aztec Empire and claimed the land for Spain. After a year of preparation back in Tlaxcala, we entered Tenochtitlan on April 18 with reinforcements and new ships thanks to the work of Juan Rodriguez Cabrillo. Cuahetomic, who had taken over for Montezuma who died from his wounds from the rock pelted at him, stood strong and would not give up. I broke my army up into 4 regions so that we could weaken the already depleted Aztec forces. Pedro de Alvarado went to the shores of Tacuba, Christobal de Olid went to shore up Coyoacin, and Gonzalo de Sandoval went to attack the bridge, which connected Coyoacin to Tenochtitlin. I took the 4th region and had control over the brigantines. Within a few days we had cut off the Aztecs water supply. For the next few months we succeeded in blocking the city, but the Aztecs were still feisty and would kill many of our warriors. However, today we landed a full out assault on them. We attacked on all sides on the city and shed so much Aztec blood, a far cry from when we first conquered Tenochtitlan by the letter which had the Aztec tax collectors killing our soldiers. Our force simply just overpowered the Aztecs, and by the time it was over Tenochtitlan was left in ruins. Buildings became rubble; thousands of corpses lay in the streets, a sure sign of victory. I have finally conquered my goal of conquering the Aztec Empire. It was not easy, I had resistance from not only the Aztecs but also Diego Velaquez, who on numerous accounts tried to ruin my voyage. However, this will go down in history for Spain. A Spanish conquistador named Hernan Cortes has conquered the Aztecs

No comments: