Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Reaching the New World




March 9, 1504
Today I, Hernan Cortes has officially began my voyaging to the new world. Thanks to the money which was generously raised by my parents, my voyage to Santo Domingo, has been made possible. Led by Nicolas de Ovando, we sailed from Spain to Santo Domingo. Santo Domingo is relatively new, as Columbus discovered it 12 years earlier. My arrival in Santo Domingo was one to be remembered for a very long time. The natives welcomed me with open arms. They granted a small piece of land and I was named public notary in the town of Azua. The Dominicans have really welcomed us with good intent, but they seem to have liked my compass, and when they asked to see it, they did not return it to me. However, I like Santo Domingo and I have a feeling that we will stay here for a while

No comments: