Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Failure at Conzumel


January 2 1519
We have had to embark on our journey a tad too early, due to rumors of Velázquez attempting to replace me had reached my ears and I simply could not let that happen. We had been sailing from port to port, gathering the materials that we left without little by little. Each time we have arrived in a new town, a herald has given me the same message over and over: Santiago de Cuba has ordered that my men and I are to turn around and report back to Velázquez because Grijalba had returned. I have ignored these foolish orders, for my quest had a greater objective that finding Grijalba. I set sail on this expedition to obtain glory and riches, and then I was going to find Grijalba. Currently, we are resting in a village on the island of Cozumel, just off the coast of Yucatán. We have begun bartering with the natives, and we have begun converting everyone we can to Catholicism. Unfortunately, these natives have no gold and only little trinkets of little value. Perhaps I will have to make my fortune by selling them as slaves to other places like Yucatán.

No comments: