Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Searching for Grijalba


July 15 1518
I have received my orders for my journey to Yucatán: We are to find Juan de Grijalba, who had followed Francisco Hernández de Córdoba to Yucatán and was presumed missing. We are also to search for Cristóbal de Olid, who has recently been reported missing after leaving to search for Juan de Grijalba. Seems kind of ironic, to send a search party to go find another search party. At least this time they choose the right man to send to find someone. I have also received word that we are being permitted to interact with the natives there and we are allowed to barter with them. My five galleons have been completed and I have assembled a small army of around 700 men to help assist me if I run into any trouble. I have also equipped my men with firearms and the galleons with cannons. I shall return with great success and I will be praised for finding the lost sailors, and Velázquez will see that I am one of the greatest sailors of this time.

No comments: