Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Heading to Yucatan


September 29 1518
Word has reached me of the newfound wealth that lies in the islands west of Cuba. Whispers have reached me about this island of Yucatán, and of the treasures that it hides. Diego Velázquez, who with I traveled to Cuba on an earlier expedition, has already decided that another voyage to these islands is needed. I see no reason why he would not choose me to lead this monumental journey. The tension that once was between us has hopefully faded, and Velázquez will forgive me for my stubbornness. I believe that he may still think that I wish to overthrow him, and if that is the case, then it may jeopardize my chances of leading this voyage. I pray that he has forgiven me, for I have already begun the planning of the journey across the Atlantic to explore these islands. I have also ordered that the galleons be built, at my own expense, so I must be the one who leads this expedition to the islands.

No comments: